Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year

Sure hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and is ringing in the New Year.  We had a wonderful time with both of our families.  The kids loved their new toys, and I have been lazy most of the week.  Worked a little more than I wanted, didn't clean nearly as much as is needed - but it has been nice to be at home this last week.

Mike and I took our first little getaway together this weekend.  Can you believe we have never left the kids together before?  I've gone on a trip or he's gone out of town - but we've never gone together.  We ran up the mountain to Park City for some alone time and I took my first skiing lesson.  Can you believe I've lived in Utah all my life and never skied before?  It was fun.  I'm still sore 3 days later - but it was fun.  I hope to make this a family affair and start going often.  I can't explain how beautiful the mountain is later at night, when its almost empty.  Going up the lift looking at the mountain - I wish I had a picture cause it took my breath away.... or that could have been from the boots I was wearing the the way my legs were shaking.... but it was a fun time either way.

I'm excited for 2012 and what is has to bring.  Tonight we went to dinner and I watched the kids race back to the car.  I think this is going to be a fun year for our little family.  The kids are FINALLY playing together.  Sam has turned into a little person instead of a baby.  We can get out of the house and go places and he behaves himself (most of the time).  My goal for 2012 - to sit in a movie theater with both my kids and watch the whole movie.... we'll see how that goes.

I was reading my posts from last January - the goals that were set and not kept.  I would say I did sew a little more then the previous year so that was good.  Eating and working out went out the door in January... I'm so fat right now I don't want to leave my house!  Clearly that needs to be priority #1 on my list this year.  Starting tomorrow - work outs will start - healthy dinners will be made - less eating out - no coke - YOU HEARD ME - NO COKE!  I've been cheating on coke with another man - Red Bull - so I'm going to allow myself a Red Bull now and then - but I'm done with the coke.  We have a tripped planned in April and I plan to allow myself to be seen in public in a bathing suit - so I've got to get my butt in gear!

I've got my Jillian Michaels DVDs ready to go, a new nano with some great play lists, the couch to 5k in mind - and I'm going for it.  Stay tuned to see a healthier me this year.  That is my only goal - I'm not even going to give myself a number I want to get to weight wise.  I just want to be healthier - like what I see in the mirror cause I've been very down on myself lately and would like to change that.

The other few things I'd like to do more of this year - finish a few quilts - which I think after doing 5 in 2 weeks I can prove I can get things done.  I have tons of kits and have been working to buy backs when I feel the need to buy fabric.  So I should have plenty to keep me busy this year!

The other goal is to find us a babysitter and try to go out more.  Mike and I have definetly let this part of our lives slide away since having kids and I think its important to bring it back.  At least once a month we are going to have a date night.

I've also implemented a new weekly night schedule - here's how I see it playing out.  Obviously if we sign Jake up for anymore activities my life will be overtaken by karate or baseball or soccer - but in the meantime this is how its going to work:

Sunday night - hang out
Monday night - Family night - focus on the kids, playing games, reading, an occasional movie night etc
Tuesday night - Abby night - I get to disappear downstairs and not do a thing once Mike gets home
Wednesday night - hang out
Thursday night - Mike's night - to do whatever he wants while I take care of the kids
Friday night - Family night - go out, stay in, but do something fun together
Saturday - Date night or hang out doing whatever

I think by having specific nights set aside for family time - and nights off for both Mike and I we will be a happier family.  Its something I've been thinking about for awhile now and feel its important to focus on.

Anything else???? This is a random post.  I'm excited for 2012 and all that it brings.  Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and are ready to dig in to the new year!

4 comments:

Polly said...

great post! by writing down goals and then checking in on your list daily i'm sure you will reach all things listed! put on your list another get away in about six months! the kids and i need another sleep over.

marta said...

you are motivating me! love all this planning stuff. i just have one thing to say: sorry. i totally forced the fries, drink and grilled cheese on you. onto better eating in 2012!! hope your meal planning comes back!!

Dblbogi said...

hope coke doesn't find out your cheating on him. . . . unnacceptable really.

Heidi said...

I want to get on your training schedge. Jillian M. looks fun. And totally - let me 5k with you! In fact, let's start a company 5k. You, Me and Jac'll make shirts and keep time! Think about it.