Thursday, August 2, 2012

Wheels on the Quilt

I had a love/hate relationship with this quilt.  I was so excited when I bought this fabric.  A bundle of all the prints and a BOLT of the border fabric.  I thought of how cute this bolt of fabric would look in the Can't Cut it Up pattern by All Washed Up.  It was big and bold and the perfect fabric for the big blocks in that pattern.  I wasn't really thinking about the border until I got home.  Which once this quilt was done I saw the cars driving up the side borders and it looked so cute, why didn't I think of that?  As I made the pieced blocks, I thought they were cute.  As I added the big blocks the quilt kind of got busy for me.  Then I added the borders and was about ready to throw the quilt in the trash.  But when I stepped back and looked, I kind of feel like the cars are just driving off the quilt.  So I just finished it.  



I quilted loops to get it quilted.


And I even zig zagged my binding on - something I NEVER do and don't love the look of.  At this point I was thinking I may donate the quilt.  


Now that its completed and I stand back and look, I think its ok.  I'm not in love with it, but it isn't going to be living at my house.  The little boy it was intended for may love all the cars and the business of it all.  He is very into cars....so unless I can whip up another version I like better in the next week, he'll probably end up with this one.  His mom will have to hide it when I walk into the house.  I don't know if I want to see this quilt again!  Do you have quilts like that?  That don't end up they way you had expected, yet you power through to just get it done?  I'm happy it is done and glad I can drive away from it....get it...drive away? (jake would have loved the joke)

1 comment:

marta said...

I LOVE THIS QUILT. it's a crazy (car) quilt.. the patterns and colors are so fun and the cars are darling. seriously, i think any little one would be thrilled with it. do not be so tough on yourself.. your worst work is another's favorite treasure. hilarious that you never want to see it again. i know someone who very much would love to sleep with it every night.

xo.