Friday, August 23, 2013

Baby Cade Big Block Quilt

Lately I have needed some quick projects to keep me sane.  I need a little something that I can complete and feel like I've accomplished something.  

When I made this quilt - I had some left over HST - and I wanted to do something with them - so I made up this little block. 


I was thinking table topper or a block to put on a back of quilt - I was just happy I actually used the scraps.  

One day I was thumbing through Camille's new book - trying to decide what to make - and her big Churn Dash baby block was one of my favorites.  I needed a baby quilt for a gift - and was thinking I would whip that up.  

The lightbulb finally went off in my head - I had a good big block - why not add a border or two and get me to baby sized?  Which was great - since I had next to no time!


So that is what I did - the fabric is actually Kona Navy not black.


I decided to practice some straight line channel lock quilting - I like how it turned out!


Backing was a soft flannel navy and bound in a blue and white gingham.  

I had so much fun with this quilt - and it won't be my last big block quilt - I have now bought a little Happy Go Lucky to make the big Churn Dash block too.  Just need to find me some time now!




 


7 comments:

a maidenhair fern said...

Love the navy!! and the straight line quilting. all your stuff is nice.

Anonymous said...

Love it!! what a great idea for a boy! :)

Anonymous said...

I love that block. Have you got a name for it?
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Very effective! Looks fantastic!

Ida said...

Wow! I love this quilt. So modern and chic. It's really stunning.

Michelle@factotum-of-arts.com said...

Love the black and white quilt - looks great

Happy Turtle said...

Ooh! That's lovely
Carol