Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Benji Blanket Quilts

Been busy quilting this last month and I have a few to share.

My sister Whit came up with the Benji blanket idea about 5 years ago when Marta had her first.  The idea was a thin blanket that a baby could be swaddled in.  Sometimes quilts are just too heavy and hot for those little ones.  She wanted minky on one side and a cute fabric on the other.  We quilt them up - sans batting and bind them.  Soft and cuddly, yet thin and cool.  The perfect weight for car seats and strollers.  This is Whitney's go to baby gift and has gotten great reviews!  We lovingly refer to these types of quilts as the Benji Blanket as that is where it all started. 
 
I'll admit I don't always love how these look initially.  Without the batting, the fabric doesn't always lay flat and you can sometimes see "puffs" from the minky.  Once its been washed up, I usually get over this, but it was hard for a quilter like me to get use to! 
 
This one below Whit wanted for Wren's 1st birthday.  Recently I stumbled upon some chevron minky which is quickly becoming a favorite.  Whit picked out all these fabrics and I LOVE how it turned out!  The fabric front and binding are from Happy Go Lucky by Camille and Bonnie for Moda.  I love how the orange pops!  Such a fun quilt. 
 


 This next quilt was a request from Marta for a shower gift.  This baby's gender is yet to be known - so we tried to go neutral - yet keeping with the feel of the couple.  The bikes on the back with grey dot minky was perfect for them.  We picked a orange plaid for the binding to help break up some of the blue, just in case. 


Love this bike fabric! Bike fabric and binding is from Lucy's Crab Shack by Sweetwater for Moda. 
 
This next quilt may just be my most favorite Benji Blanket ever!  I used the bikes/wagon print seen on this quilt - So really how could we go wrong?   
 
 
Add a little chevron navy minky....
 



I've never met a combo that marries together so well.  I.LOVE.HOW.THIS.TURNED.OUT.
It was a special quilt as it goes to Marta's Baby Seth how has waited almost a year for his own Benji quilt!  I'm hoping it was worth the wait!

















Linking up to Freshly Pieced





2 comments:

nicole said...

Lovely bunch of Benji's there! I love the idea of a lighter quilt for warmer days. I just finished one up with just two layers of flannel and it's the perfect weight for summer!

whit said...

Those blankets are the best!! Love Seth's Benji blanket!! So super cute!!!