Thursday, October 18, 2012

Cousins Carnival



A few months ago Marta  came up with the brain child of having a Cousins Carnival with light night movies, light sticks, and smores.

She went and had a baby and somehow didn't get around to throwing the carnival....I love fall, and I constantly feel like I'm a boring mom - so I decided to take Marta's carnival idea and run with it.

You know in the movie You've Got Mail when Tom Hanks takes his aunt and his brother to the carnival in New York City?  That is the feel I wanted....except my backyard isn't New York...and I'm not a millionaire who lives at on 152nd Street or his yacht.

But here was my attempt at our first annual Cousin's Carnival.  It was so much fun to plan and a lot of work, but so worth it.  Everyone pitched in to help with games and food.  Marta even spent a full day at my house helping me get everything in order and ready.  Mike even got into the action hanging lights on the back patio and helping me clean up the yard.

We had games stationed and prizes for each game.  The kids got a bag at the beginning of the carnival to hold all their prizes in.  They took home glow sticks, cotton candy bags, and caramel corn.  With some trinkets and prizes.  SO MUCH FUN!

So here you have it - the Carnival in pictures.  PICTURE HEAVY!!!!

Whit put together the pumpkin balloon game

Cotton Candy/Popcorn popping station
 
Jake and Benji

Jake, Benji, Dylan and Sam

Marta and Baby Seth (love this pic!)

Quilts for story time Halloween themed of course

My excuse to buy fall flowers

Table - Pinterest inspired food

Amy made these cute Frankenstein puddings!

Mummy juice boxes
What is a party without apple dip?

Halloween banner - added so much!

Guess how many in the jar game

kids throwing darts at the balloon game - they loved this!

Jake holding a dollar - Whit added some money in just like Grandpa Jiggs use to do

Amy made this cute bean bag toss.  SO CUTE! and the cute pumpkins to throw

Sam at the plinko board

Oma and Kate eating some cotton candy

Miles at the bean bag toss

Grama Polly's cookie decorating station

Apple Cider bar 

Tattoo station

Cotton Candy making

Wrap the mummy

Sam being shy

Story time

Oma's old lady who live in a shoe doll

how did Dylan get in there?
Best part of the carnival - Tuesday morning when Jake woke up, the first thing he said to me was "Mom, yesterday was the best day ever!"

Makes all the hard work worth it.




4 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

It was SO FUN!!!! Thanks!

Brooke said...

I agree with Marty, it was so much fun. Thanks for having us! Next time we'll be a little more responsive on the RSVP, and we'll help with food & clean-up!

marta said...

seriously, benji is still talking about the cousins carnival. thank you for making it happen! you pulled out all the stops, as usual. the ambiance was so perfect with games, quilts and delicious wassail. i loved it.

Amy said...

I don't think I've been to a party that was so well planned and executed. Every detail was amazing. Thanks for letting me have some creative license with the haunted house pumpkin toss. It's my pride of the season! I'm using it as decoration in my front room! You found some awesome ideas for us all to try. Thanks again.