Monday, March 10, 2014

Menu Mondays

So last week I had a birthday and as I get older - it gets harder.  We spent a lovely week in Vegas and Newport Beach.  I spent one afternoon at the beach - and fried my face.  Ever since I got home I keep thinking - I should have put sunscreen on.  A thought I have rarely had in my life.  I'm a big believer in the sun is good for the soul and my mom taught me at a very young age how to be "one with the sun".  But as I get older I start to think about skin cancer - and ugly sun spots - and wrinkles....(Ok I'm not really worried too much about wrinkles - I think they add character).  But this last week I have thought a lot about my health. 


I am getting older and my kids are still young.  I need to be around for them.  I want to be healthy and active with them.  I am and have been since giving birth to Sam at my all time high - and I've been too busy with kids and work and quilting to make getting healthy a priority in my life.  I'm not a dieter and I have NO will power.  ZERO.  I start eating good - and someone offers me a donut 3 hours later and I'll eat it.  So clearly I have a life style change ahead of me.  I decided this year - is my year to get in shape and feel healthy.  I don't get enough sleep, I feel sluggish, and most my life is ran on Red Bull.  I hope over the next few months I can change things up every week to progress and make life long changes.  I'm not a all or nothing kind of girl - I'm going to do this gradually - and this week I'm going to start with cooking decent meals at home - and adding a little workout to give me some energy and get me going. 

 
So here is my menu for the week - wish me luck!
Monday - Baked Chicken Pesto (Jake's Favorite!)
Wednesday - Sloppy Joe Pizzas
Thursday - Melt in your Mouth Chicken w/salad and fruit
Friday - Tacos w/fruit
Saturday - Chicken Enchiladas

 
A lot of chicken on the menu this week - but I'm trying to get through what I have in the fridge.  Trying some new recipes to get me motivated I'll let you know how they turn out!

5 comments:

~Niki~ said...

gosh, I'm the same way. I don't know what the answer is. I dedicated myself to losing weight starting January. I stayed sugar free for 8 days. that's it :( it's a bad addiction. AND it is my emotional release. I don't smoke or drink. food is definitely my drug of choice.

Tiffany McPherson said...

Abby I feel your pain. I think I told you I was a total red bull junkie and still had no energy by 2 in the afternoon. I did a three day juice cleanse last October to get me off sugar and caffeine. It changed my life and my tastebuds. I haven't had caffeine in months now and I have more energy that I can ever remember. I'm eating healthier and I started lifting weights and doing interval training. You can do it!! Change is totally possible :)

Lynda said...

Hi Abby - what are "sloppy joes"? Not a name we use here in Australia. Good luck with your cooking; every little bit has to help.

Jane said...

Way to go, I struggle all the time, and it takes a while, but I agree with you, it is a gradual thing. Try some interval training, short bursts for short amounts of time. So exercising doesn't take half the morning :) We can all be each others help mates :)

Polly said...

maybe we can help each other. I am so ready to start loosing some weight and stop eating treats. hide them when I'm at your house. might help me while I'm striving to change my habits.