Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Very Thought of You

I saw a movie once that talked about moments in peoples lives.  You don't have those moments on video or in pictures, but those are the moments and memories that are thought about for years to come. 

In the movie they play back these memories to the song sung by Nat King Cole - The Very Thought of You. 

This last week we spent the week in Oceanside CA at a beach house with Mike's whole family.  I think there was 34 of us in this beach house.  It was a huge 5 level (lots o' stairs and an elevator) house.  Each family got their own room and bathroom which was nice.  There was two LARGE kitchen and family room areas, 2 balcony's, a patio with access to the beach, and 2 hot tubs.  It was dreamy to say the least.  I did take many pictures and they will be coming soon, but my thoughts keep going back to all the moments I don't have pictures of. 

-Late night walk on the beach with Jake.  Running away from the waves.  Watching him fall in love with the beach just like I am.
-Sam hiding his feet in the sand.
-One AM laughing session with Gina, Brandy, and Brittany (Brandy get a blog)
-Talent Shows (I may have a few pics of this one)
-Sharon (my MIL) playing poker in a hoodie and sun glasses - gangster style
-Jake with the girls (he LOVES playing with his new to him cousins)
-All the little kids circling an ipad, taking turns and watching each other play games
-Mckinly - may be the cutest little girl ever!!!
-Lacey doing everyone's nails - I got a pedi too.
-Riding bikes up and down the beach

Needless to say we had a week full of fun memories.  We have never done anything like this with the Latimer family before - and I hope this isn't the one and only.  We had so much fun spending time with all the families.  I am sad to say 2 of Mike's nieces I have barely met til this trip.  TEN YEARS into our marriage and I'm still meeting people in his family.  And they are who I spent the most time with on the trip!  This trip opened my eyes to how important it is to make an effort to stay close to your family.  It was so much fun to watch my kids interact with the great grandkids (who are closer to their age) and watch Sam who goes to no one, run into Grandpa's arms every morning when he saw him.  By the end of the trip he was running around with the kids and letting Gina take him on walks.  We sure could have used a few more days! 

It was so much fun - and I can't wait to get together with the family again.  Even if it isn't at a beach house - although that sure was a beauty!

Thanks Sharon and Ken for a wonderful vacation!

5 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

This sounds like a fabulous family reunion!

polly said...

children with family on all sides are so blessed. it is what gives them stability and a sense of belonging. how wonderful that you guys got to go on this vacation with mike's family. staying close to family is so important!

The Neilson Family said...

This is so sweet Abby! It was so much fun. A trip to always remember. We had a great time with everyone as well. That is so sweet of you! xoxo see you soon.

patty said...

I agree with the importance of spending time together. We all had a great time. Great memories. Your boys are adorable. We love you guys!

Brandi Carle said...

So I figured I would leave a comment so I am not just a blog stalker lol I am so glad we finally got to meet!! We had a wonderful time with you guys and I feel like we have known you forever! We def need to plan something soon!! We already miss you guys!!!