Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

What the heart of a mother gives away is never gone.  It is kept in the hearts of her children.
                                           -- J.R. Downing 

The moment Jake was born this feeling, an overwhelming feeling of the need to protect, the feeling of love, the worry, the joy.... the feeling of motherhood.  This feeling is one that cannot be described.  You can try, but it has to be felt.  I am sure fathers have similar feelings, but I am certain it isn't as intense as the feeling we mothers get. 

Life has never been the same since that day.  



Motherhood has taught me to appreciate mothers in general more.  Being a mother is the hardest job in the world.  Full of joys and fun, but also full of fears and heart break.  I have learned in my 2 1/2 short years as a mother that most mothers are doing the best they can, and we all should go easy on each other. 



I was raised by a wonderful mother.  She has taught me many things about life.  She was always our cheerleader, telling all of us kids we could accomplish anything we wanted.  She made us believe we could be successful with our dreams.  She made us feel loved.  I remember nights when I was little in my red and white bedroom saying prayers and being sung to sleep (something she now does with my own kids).  I remember shopping trips, and late night talks.  We worked together for years and shared lunches, and stories, and tears. 

Holidays, especially Christmas were always made fun and special by mom.  I can still hear mom singing along with Barbra Streisand Christmas carols as mom would turn our house into a magical place.  Two Christmas trees, garland, mantels being redone, the whole house looked new. 

I spent years with my mom at sporting events for my brothers.  She was always supportive and cheering us on at everything we tried to do.   Always running to give us rides, or running to meet us at a game, or running to get us a drink. 

My mom was always available if we needed her.  A pep talk, a gossip session, if I needed a good laugh or a good cry.  I've learned a lot from my mom, but the biggest lesson I learned was unconditional love.  I know no matter what life brings my mom will be there loving me and cheering me on. 

I am so grateful I have such a wonderful mom.  Now she is bringing her fun and wisdom to my boys as she plays with them 3 days a week.  Another lesson I've learned since becoming a mother is it takes a village.  I am so lucky that my mom is part of the village helping me raise my boys.  It has brought me so much joy to see the fun relationship she has with them.  She and Jake have their own little language.  They sing songs and have cute little names they call each other.  I am lucky to have such a loving grandma to watch over my kids.


I am surrounded by great women.  My mother, my mother-in-law, my sister, and sister-in-laws, cousins, aunts, friends.  I also had the two greatest grandmothers anyone could ask for.  I have been blessed in life to be around such brave, strong, independent women.  They have taught me a lot, molding me into the person I am today.  Loved me, laughed with me, cried with me, were always there for me.  On this Mother's Day I celebrate all of them.  As it was all of them who have made me into the mother I am today.


             Mother-in-law with Jake

 
                 Mother-in-law with Sam


                  Whit with Jake


                  Sister-in-law Mel with Sam



       Cousin Marta with her nieces.


Happy Mother's Day!

5 comments:

patty said...

Great post Abby! I always knew you would be a wonderful Mother! The feelings are so strong as soon as they put them in your arms. we are so lucky to be Moms.

polly said...

thanks for the beautiful tribute. you continue in a long line of strong and lovely women. we are both very lucky.

Travelin'Oma said...

I love what you've written here.

Kelly said...

What an awesome post Abby! You should be a writer, seriously!! Quit ACS and start writing, you are inspiring!! Thanks for uplifting me!

P.S. Who did you give the book to?

marta said...

ab.. you are so right about the unconditional love thing. i think that is the true key to motherhood. you don't have to read one book about parenthood, it's all in the loving them to pieces. thanks for being my incredible guide to raising my little benj. you really inspire me with all your wonder woman-ness. i so appreciate your example. hope yours was a happy mother's day.