Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

I grew up watching my brothers play baseball.  From a very young age I feel like my summer nights and Saturday mornings were spent at the Draper park watching my older brothers slide around the bases.



As I grew up my oldest brother James stayed with the sport.  I frequented his high school games.  It was one of my favorite things to do.  My mom would even take me out of school early if they had an away game that started before I'd be getting home.  His team even took state one year.  I remember that play off week as if it was me playing.  Needless to say I have always loved the sport.


Fast forward a few years to being married and pregnant and finding out I am having a boy of my own.  I have to say one of the very first things that popped into my head was "I'll have a baseball player of my own!"  Even though they are a little young to be playing, I will admit there is a big huge bat hanging in their room and baseball quilts on their beds.  I guess I'm hoping if they sleep in a baseball themed room they will dream it all in, and one day wake up wanting to play the sport.


So about 3 years ago I found this kit during Shop Hop.  A baseball themed turning twenty quilt?  Easy, fast, big, and baseballs... a dream quilt for a girl like me.  I have to say the backing fabric of baseballs is my favorite part....


Or maybe the binding - I have been hoarding this Minick and Simpson Prairie Paisley plaid since it came out.  The binding was actually made about a year ago and the fat quarters have been ironed for a year!  I finally got around to making the blocks in May, sewed it together in June at my little get away, got it quilted and bound on Saturday.  Just in time to use it Saturday night at Draper Days.  Crazy how I had to have it done in time to sit and watch fireworks from it.  Makes the perfect picnic, baseball watching, firework gazing quilt.

I'm so glad I finally got this 3 year in the making project completed!  And what could be better then one baseball quilt?  You guessed it - two!  I pulled another one together while I made these blocks.  Just need to get the backing made so I can quilt that one.  Its on my to finish list for July.  I have to say I am 3 quilts away from completing the whole list....that could be a first for me!  I had a productive week so stay tuned!


No comments: