Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Motherhood

Do you ever feel bogged down by motherly duties?  I sometimes feel sorry for myself when I have a full day of kids running around, full time job, dinner to be made, dishes to be done, clothes to be folded.  I don't know why I feel sorry for myself as I know most mothers have these same responsibilities. 

Today at work I made a list - of everything I was going to get done when I got home.  Workout, dinner, take Sam to Little Gym, kids in bed, quilting and sewing to be done.  By the time I got home I was wondering how I would get everything done and did I really have to take Sam to Little Gym tonight?  Can't I have a night to myself? 

Needless to say I had a bad attitude when getting us ready to go and walking into the class.  By the time the class ended - I was so glad I had taken him.  Watching Sam in his class and how much fun he has, how he knows the routines, he gets excited to walk on the balance beam and hang on the bars.  Something so easy for me to do once a week, that has been so good for Sam.  Has been so good for me to spend some quality one on one time with him - and I had wanted to miss this weekly event? 

I was reminded tonight what life is really all about.  Not work, or sewing - its about family and spending quality time with my kids.  Nights like tonight is what my kids will remember growing up - what I want them to remember growing up.  It didn't matter that I didn't get one thing on my list accomplished but dinner for the kids - what mattered is that I spent some time with Sam.

Tomorrow I think we'll make a date to go see some Christmas lights.  I hope to stay in the moment with my kids and not get so caught up in what needs to be done or what I want to get done. 

Kids only want to be with their parents for so long - I gotta remember that next time I have a bad parenting attitude! 

1 comment:

whit said...

Great advice! You are such a great mom which is such a great example to me! Love you lots