Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Baby Boy Quilt



Last night we had a baby shower for my cousin Brooke who is due any day now with a little boy.  Brooke is extra special to me - I spent a lot of time babysitting at Brooke's house when I was younger (and she was in high school).  While I was sneaking off to parties (while tending) she was having parties (and cops came).  Brooke also helped me out a few summers back when my mom had surgery.  She tended Jake for a 6 week period and Jake loves her, and her dog Millie.  

So when I found out Brooke was pregnant, after trying for awhile, add to that its a boy - I was so thrilled and excited for her I had to plan the shower.  It was so much fun getting the house and the yard ready for the big day.  I think it all looked great, although I took not one picture.  Brooke looks so cute with her belly about ready to pop.  

I loved watching her get so excited about the little clothes and the fun gifts she got.  We passed around "Mother Knows Best" advise cards and read them to everyone.  I loved that not one person said "Do this, or Never do that".  All the advise was "listen to your heart", "enjoy each stage", etc.  

I love watching mom's become a mom.  Brooke has always been so good with kids, and this is her calling to be a mom.  I can't wait to see her hold the little one and feel that "I'm a mom feeling" that you only get with your first baby.  Last night I remembered that feeling - through my whole pregnancy with Jake, and then how it was so magnified once he was actually here.  The love, the need to protect, the worry, and more love.  I can't wait for Brooke to have this little bundle of joy.  She now just needs to work on a name!


This quilt was so much fun to make, because I had Brooke in mind the whole time I was sewing.  I bought these fabrics when I was pregnant with Jake, wanting to make this quilt, but sadly never got around to it.  Once I got the binding on this quilt - I was in love.  Its navy bind, hard to see in the picture, but I love the white with all the blue colors.  Very clean and classy looking.  I may just have to make this one again as I still have some fabrics.  


This is my little helper.  Anytime there is a quilt on the ground (completed or just the blocks laying there) he has to jump on it.  This pattern is New Arrivals by Two Peas in a Pod.  Very easy to put together with great results.  

The back was polka dots - need I say more.  Such a fun quilt to make.  I hope Brooke enjoys it as much as I enjoyed making it.


2 comments:

al + sar said...

Seriously LOOOOVE this quilt! You are soo talented! Thanks SO much for the fun night last night, your house is gorgeous! xo

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. SO much fun last night - thank you, thank you Abs! What an awesome shower. You are the best. I hope to be as good a mom some day as you are - or even as good a mom as you were a babysitter to us! You were awesome, we loved "Abby" weeks when we knew you'd be coming! Thanks for such a fun celebration last night!
Ps. The quilt is seriously amazing - everybody who comes over just dies over it, as do I. I love it! Thank you!!!